Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring Finds #2

Early this March the ground finally neared the defrosting phase, and it was open season in my favorite town dump. After failing to annihilate one of the last chunks of frost from one of my old holes, I settled for a hit-and-miss spot that today provided some hits! A nice J.L. & P. Gannon N. Providence blob was one of the first to surface. Normally a common bottle, this example had a nice block letter G monogram. Additionally, the heel read “this bottle registered / not to be sold”, which is an uncommon phrase.


Next up was an exciting What Cheer Bottling Co. Providence blob. Sadly it was cracked, but that didn't lessen my excitement! I have an example that is not embossed Providence, so they will make a perfect pair! What Cheer is the motto for Providence.


One of the most common sodas from this dump is the John Theroux Pontiac, RI blob. This larger size of the two known variants, and this one has a period after Pontiac and no period after the R in RI. Erased embossing on the heel adds to the mystery.


A recent trade involved a nice Sullivan Bros. Providence 13oz. ABM blob. Only a crown top is listed with the 13oz. embossing, and the machine made blob factor was a surprise. By the time machine made sodas were becoming popular blobs were becoming obsolete, so machine made examples are fairly hard to find.


I found a Nutro Registered (on base) ABM soda while wading last year, and thought that I already had one. After double checking, I noticed my old one was clear, and the fresh-dug example was aqua!  Now for a better-looking example...