Sunday, February 2, 2014

Winter Finds #4



Last year I had a collector contact me asking me about some RI bottles he had bought in a display case full of odds and ends.  They turned out to be some rather nice RI pharmacy bottles.  It took me a while to finally organize a meeting, but it finally worked out last month.  He had already sold one, but I was able to get the remaining three, two of which were unlisted.  An A.O. Austin Pharmacist Providence is hard not to like.  This example has a different address and is a different size than the listed examples.


I was particularly happy to acquire a Farnham & Cundall Pharmacists E. Greenwich, RI.  This is probably the earliest pharmacy bottle from East Greenwich, and while one is listed as rectangular, this one is square.


I still have a few gaps to fill in on my E.P. Anthony Inc. Pharmacists, Providence RI run.  This 3-3/8” tall example was an unlisted size.


January is a bad digging month, but it is also host to the Little Rhody Bottle Club’s annual show.  I didn’t make any earth-shattering discoveries, but I was happy with what I got.  An Otis Clapp & Son with two lions on the front was a nice one to check off the list.  This uncommon example even had the original label with an illegible handwritten prescription.  



Another medicine I acquired was a Thomas M. Dorney Pharmacist Providence, RI.  It’s a nice pharmacy bottle that is simply packed with embossing.  At 4” it was an unlisted size.