Sunday, February 2, 2014

Winter Finds #3



Welcome back!  I will finish up the Bristol adds today.  While it wasn’t unanimous, I would say my favorite discovery of the lot was an E.F. Hodgkinson Smith St. Providence, RI whiskey bottle.  It is a brand new bottle, and the name and location are pretty cool.  Research didn’t turn up much, but it appears Mr. Hodgkinson was one of the founding members of the Mt. Hope Distilling Co., a very successful company.


I almost passed a Maine Bottling Co. Inc. Providence, RI quart crown top, but took it home just in case.  My other example was nearly identical except it was a darker aqua, and did not have Inc. embossed. Better picture to come!


I was finally able to obtain my third size Purogen medicine (technically it was an antiseptic), which measures a cute 2-1/2”.  That leaves around 3 more sizes to track down, let the hunt begin!


A dig in Warwick unearthed quite the surprising find.  A broken John F. Perry Narragansett Pier, RI soda bottle had made a considerable journey from its hometown.  While the top is missing, I am almost certain that it was a crown top.  This narrow style bottle is unlisted.


Another bottle from the same dig has also seen better days.  An American Bottling Co. West Exchange St. Providence (blob?) didn’t take too kindly to being buried in this dump.  While blobs from this company are very common, I have never seen one with this address embossed on the front, making it unlisted!