Thursday, October 24, 2013

Summer Finds #5



It’s hard to believe, but this is my 50th post!  That makes a total of over 250 new RI bottles since I first started collecting.  It’s pretty exciting to imagine the varieties and brand new bottles that exist that are yet to be discovered! 

My seventh Augustin Vitale Providence, RI blob top soda looked to be one I already had.  However, upon closer inspection, I saw that it was ABM!  For some reason the early ABM blob tops have very faint mold seams on the lip, so they are often mistaken for handmade examples.
 (BIM example pictured)


Another find from the Little Rhody Bottle Club tailgate show in Richmond was a 4-1/2” Geo. L. Claflin & Co. Providence, RI medicine (unlisted size).  This is the less common and presumably older RI-172, as RI-171 is more common and features a newer reinforced lip style.


I have always been fond of the D. Miller & Co. Wines & Liquors Providence, RI spirits bottles.  I have a relative whose name is D. Miller, so he it proud to display one of these.  This particular example has an ampersand after Miller (instead of “and” spelled out), and a random period after 210 in the 210 N. Main St. address.
 (picture to come!)

My fifth N. Cappelli Atwells Ave. Providence BIM crown top also had a familiar look to it.  A closer look revealed that there was erased embossing on the front heel.  I haven’t taken the time to make an educated guess on what was erased, but it was probably a generic term like “registered”, “this bottle not to be sold”, or the capacity of the bottle.
 (again, apologies, picture en route!)

A second John Prior & Co. Inc. Providence, RI BIM crown top soda from the Otis collection was also unlisted.  Unlike it’s nearly identical counterpart, it lacks a slugplate.