Thursday, October 10, 2013

Summer Finds #4

Despite being a few months behind, let's go back to summertime when wading was a good way to beat the heat.
Well, the river kept giving!  When my boot kicked a crown top soda in a shallow area I expected a modern beer bottle.  I was quite happy to see it was in fact an embossed J. Gannon N. Providence, RI BIM crown top soda!  There is a small chance that this might be RI-1022, but it does not list the Registered embossed on the shoulder.



Only 30 feet upstream I found a topless wine bottle.  I normally toss these aside, but have recently developed a habit of checking for etched letters.  I was completely surprised to see it was etched J.L. & P. Gannon Prov. R.I.!  You just don’t find these too often.



Two days after my first river adventure, I came back with fellow ACL collector Steve P.  We scoured the river together, and found a bunch I had missed the first time.  When I pulled out a damaged art deco soda, I was ready to toss it back in the river.  I checked the bottom and noticed it was from RI.  Sure enough, it was a brand new Hope Club Beverages Providence, R.I.!  Their ACL bottles are a dime a dozen, but an art deco soda?  Super rare!  It will do until I find a nicer one (if that ever happens!).



The Little Rhody Bottle Club’s spring show was a financial success for me.  When it started out a few years ago I would always end up buying more than I spent.  For the last two years though I have been making a decent profit.  A light aqua Dr. White’s Specialty for Diphtheria got my attention.  This uncommon medicine is from Adamsville, RI (a small town in Little Compton).  I have two of the clear examples, but I saw a nice crude aqua example on ebay that I missed.  While only light aqua, I still consider it an unlisted color.  Ebay example pictured below.




Ok, this is literally the second to last unlisted bottle from the Otis Collection.  I still can’t believe how many new bottles the collection has provided.  A J.H. Branaghan 9 Pawtucket, R.I. crown top provided another variant. A period after Branaghan and comma after Pawtucket (RI is on a separate line) made it unlisted.