Friday, October 25, 2013

Late Summer Finds



I recently won a lot of blob top bottles on ebay.  I thought that three might be unlisted, but only one was.  It is hard enough to find the listed versions of the Crescent Bottling Co. East Providence, RI blob.  This was the first bottling company in East Providence to have an embossed bottle.


A recent trip to a large antique shop wasn’t too fruitful, but a nice James E. Nolan Providence, RI seltzer bottle made it worthwhile.  I believe Mr. Nolan was in a partnership with one of the many McKennas involved in the RI bottling industry, later he continued on his own.


I recently met a local collector (Zack), who had been collecting bottles for a number of years.  I’m continually surprised with how many collectors I continue to meet, and some are right down the road from me!  We did some trading, in which I acquired a nice E.A. Gavitt, Jr. Narragansett Pier, RI.  This example had the less common beer bottle shape, and was embossed Registered on the front heel and This Bottle to be Returned when Empty on the back heel.  I guess I’ll have to keep it full!



I also got a Fred L. Lothrop Pharmacist Providence, RI during our trading.  This moderately successful pharmacist has four different bottles, including his own cough elixir.  This example was 5-1/4”, which is an unlisted size.


I was finally able to make it to the fairly-distant Achusnet Antiques in New Bedford, Mass. recently.  Housed in an old mill, it has a great atmosphere.  I found a nice clear quart P. Faerber & Sons Co. Newport, RI soda.  I thought I already had it, but when I checked my listing, I saw that mine was aqua!  A clear version was unlisted.