Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer Finds #1


Welcome back!  I am nearly through with cataloging the Otis collection!  This week I will cover some recent dug and purchased bottles.  I recently met the owner of a very large dump in Warwick, RI.  It was so large, in fact, that 10 years of heavy digging only touched 10-15% of the dumps surface area.  While those I talked to thought the best spots were dug out, I knew it had plenty of life left.  My first meeting with the owner involved a walk-through that produced two unlisted RI sodas that were discarded by earlier diggers.
A crown top sodas from The Hebe Co. Prov. R.I. are quite common.  I have a hard time leaving behind RI sodas at dig sites, and I was pretty surprised to see that this example was an unlisted 9” size.  The listed examples are 9-7/8”.


Another very common RI soda is from the American Bottling Co. Incorporated Limited Providence, R.I.  Their blobs come BIM and ABM, and they have a number of BIM crown tops too.  This example was an ABM crown top, which was unlisted.  The only ABM sodas from this company before now were shoulder embossed versions.


A relatively new member to the bottle club has already proven herself to be a dedicated digger.  Leona has made some nice discoveries at the dumps she visits.  One of her more recent finds was a Roger Williams Bottling Co. (star) 219 Gansett Ave. Cranston, RI aqua crown top.  This makes my 11th Roger Williams variant, there are no listed aqua versions, and none with the 219 address and the star.


One company’s bottles that are pretty much common in any of its forms are those of the Red Fox Beverages Providence, R.I.  When I saw a green sided seltzer bottle, I knew right away that this was the best Red Fox bottle around. 


A few years back I acquired a Somerset Bottling Co. Central Falls, RI art deco soda.  It was in a lot of bottles I had bought at one of the club’s summertime tailgate shows.  This is a completely unlisted bottle.  Somerset, Massachusetts is a good half-hour drive from Central Falls, so I can’t see any connection to the towns.