Monday, June 3, 2013

Spring Finds #2



I’ll take a break from the Otis collection this week to catch up with my other acquisitions.  One bottle I was trying to track down was a Warwick Club West Warwick, RI seltzer bottle.  It is easily the rarest bottle from the prolific Warwick Club, and the fancy siding gives it a nice look.


I was excited to go to the New England Antique Bottle Club’s show in Dover, NH for the second consecutive year.  I found a lot of good deals last time, and this time was no exception!  I made a trade with a friend for a trio of James O’Hare Pharmacist Providence, RI medicines.  One was an unlisted 3-1/2” size.


The only unlisted RI bottle I bought at the show was a nice early E.G. Champlin Druggist Westerly, RI.  While listed in aqua, it was not listed in clear.  There are only two pontiled bottles from Westerly, a Potter & Champlin ink and a J.H. Potter medicine.  Now if I could just find a slightly older E.G. Champlin…


A fellow club member recently came across a rash of Douglas Ave. Bottling Co. North Providence, RI soda bottles.  One of them was this unlisted handmade crown top example.


While on a recent trip to the Stillwater Antique Center, I was surprised to see a reasonably priced RI seltzer bottle.  A lot of dealers ask exorbitant prices for them, and of course you come back to the same shop five years later, they are still there.  I was happy to pick up my first Turbitt & Orme Providcence, RI seltzer for a very fair $10.