Friday, March 8, 2013

Winter Finds #5



This week I’ll finish off my finds from the last bottle club meeting.  A Mason B. Wood Druggist Watchemoket, RI was my next find.  Watchemoket was a small town that later became part of East Providence.  The shape is pretty appealing; it is round with a flat front.  This style was patented by the Whitall Tatum Co.  This cute druggist bottle was listed, but not in this size (3-1/2”). 


Another highlight of the collection selloff was an A.J. Hopkins & Son Improved Magic Healing Powder Providence, RI.  As far as I know, it’s been close to two decades since one of these has surfaced.  Since the picture on the LRBC website is black and white, there is a small possibility that the bottle was aqua like mine, even though it looks and is listed as clear. 


This entry is a particularly rewarding one.  The origins of this bottle go back 10 years.  I bought my Denham’s Homeopathic Pharmacy bottle as a kid with a bunch of other bottles.  When I got older I tried to research it online.  I didn’t get a single hit.  I figured it was probably out of state and put it back in my display.  Well last week I tried my new and improved search.  I found a Henry J. Denham.  To my great surprise I found an article stating that he opened a homeopathic pharmacy in Providence in 1875!  A few more articles further backed up this theory.  That makes this bottle quite the rare find.


One of the dark horse categories in RI bottle collecting is seltzer bottles.  A few are scattered throughout the online listing, but there is probably close to 100 different companies out there.  I usually don’t bid on them because they can sell fairly high and the shipping is absurd, but when a few came up for sale within driving distance, I chanced it.  My favorite out of the four I won was a nice early E.P. Anthony Mineral Waters Providence, RI.  As one of the most successful pharmacists in Providence, he must have had a soda fountain in his pharmacy which often featured seltzer bottles.  This early (circa 1910s) example is significant because it links a pharmacist to the beverage industry.


My newest ebay find was a nice Hazard Hazard & Co. Chemists NY & Newport medicine bottle.  An unlisted square style, I have one size already, and now I can add this 5” size to make a pair!  The Hazard Hazard name was the second newest incarnation of this company, lasting from about 1887-1893.