Friday, June 1, 2012

Early Finds


I was recently browsing through the New Finds section of the Little Rhody Bottle Club’s website, and while still fun to read, it was hard not to notice there were no updates since 2002.  David Andrews has done a superb job with the website, but in the past few years had to deal with a number of important issues which limited the time he was able to put into the site.  He still diligently adds new bottles to the site when he has the time.  Since I have been rather “busy” digging, browsing shops, and perusing ebay, I figured I’m finding enough new RI bottles to revive this blog.  You probably found this from an email link, and hopefully in the future it will be linked with the Little Rhody Bottle Club website. 

When I decided to start this blog, I realized I had a significant “backlog” of unlisted bottles, so I’ve decided to go through them and pick out the highlights.


Back when I was homeschooled and in a 4-H club, I got one of my first unlisted RI bottles.  A mother of a fellow homeschooling family gave me a few bottles they had found in the wall of their 1890s house during a renovation.  One of these was a Knowlton’s Pharmacy Olneyville, RI.  I loved the name and shape.  I was even foolish enough to put it through the dishwasher in an attempt to get out the stubborn dirt.  Well, thankfully it worked, and David Andrews added it to the website two years ago.  




Another addition was a yard sale find, and it goes in another category altogether.  I noticed this 1970s bottle embossed Star City Glass Co. Coventry, RI.  It was the only bottle marked from RI that I know of that was made in a RI bottle-producing plant.  It’s covered with all of the employee’s names and their jobs, making it a great piece of history.  I’m not sure where it would go online, but I’d start with Miscellaneous…



Another obscure niche of the RI bottle world involves dose cups.  There is one listed on the website, and about 23 are known to exist.  I don’t have a true RI dose cup yet, but got pretty close.  As a kid I visited Jan Boyer’s epic-sized bottle yard sale.  I came across a glass cup embossed Rhode Island State Board of Health.  It’s definitely something you don’t see everyday!



Another significant first was a nursing bottle.  A lady gave me a Knapp Patent Vented Graduated Nursing Bottle Patd. 1869 at a summer festival.  It was missing most of the lip, but I thought it was awesome.  While perusing Michael Polak’s bottle value guide, I was excited to see that the Knapps were mentioned in his nursing bottle timeline.  Drs. H. & A.M. Knapp of Providence, RI patented the graduated nursing bottle.  This lead me on a quest to find an undamaged one, and eventually, I found one on ebay.  It was clear however, while mine was aqua and apparently older.  So I now have both versions waiting to take their place in the Miscellaneous section.







As a kid I loved to go to the Kinney Azalea Gardens in Kingston, RI.  I still enjoy the beautiful gardens and the many winding trails through an amazing assortment of flowers.  My curious nature led me to discover a small farm dump on the outskirts of the garden.  A gardener had piled shards of glass on a rock, and knowing the owner well, they let me scratch around out of sight along the stone wall.  After finding the usual commons and ABM material, I found two nice RI bottles.  One was a very rare A.H. Spicer Successor to Lewis & Spicer Westerly, RI.  David Smith, the authority on Westerly bottles, had one in his collection, but it had not made it to the website.  A gardener later complained about my mutilation of some roots, but it was worth finding the second example known of a local medicine.